I wrote this in my journal and felt impressed to share it here
Lately I have thought a lot about the phrase, 'have a good day'. It's sort of an odd thing to say because in the end, the individual is the only one who controls the feelings and outcome of a good day or a bad day. No one is entitled to a good day or a bad one. In fact, no one is even entitled to a day at all. God is in control of our very breath and gives it to us freely. Not because we deserve it.
I've thought it might be more appropriate to say, 'make a good day'. Or in other words, use your agency to choose for yourself, to act, not to be acted upon.
There is a serious disease and danger in our culture--entitlement. Children, youth, adults all seem to be wrapped up in this idea of, 'I deserve this' not because they earned it or worked for it, but simply because they want it. Our wants are endless--especially without the companions of work and sacrifice.
Since Erick and I decided to be more 'Dave Ramsey' with our finances [about 1 year ago] I feel like my wants have become fewer and fewer. I find myself more content with what I have and more realistically appraise the value of my wants Am I willing to work and sacrifice for that want, or do I simply want it because the natural man is a creature of insatiable desires. What are the true costs of my desires?
I am amazed at how little the principle of work is being taught. In fact, it seems to have almost disappeared completely. Children are too young, too busy, too pampered to work.
Work is the essence of life. I believe the key to a good life is learning to find joy in working. Finding joy in sacrifice and pride in a good accomplishment.
I recently reviewed a talk given in Oct 2010 by Elder Christofferson. He mentions work and goes into in depth teaching of the principle of work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Nice post!
https://www.dwipuspita.com/2019/03/pinjaman-online-solusi-buat-kamu-yang.html
Post a Comment