About 2 months ago Everett finally learned how to climb out of his crib. Yes, we still had him in a crib, it was just easier. (I never wondered what he was doing in the morning while I was still sleeping.) When he first learned to climb out we switched the lock around on his door. He absolutely HATED that. Naturally he would just stay in his bed so he wouldn't get locked in his room. That worked great.
For about a week. Then, the novelty of the lock wore off and he realized he had so much he could do in his room. Obviously he could play with his toys if he was in his room. And, he also realized he could climb into Ryan's crib and play with Ryan if he was in his room.
Frustrating.
The next attempt was to put the toys in the closet and lock the closet. Am I mean? If you're a parent I hope you can empathize and know that I was just absolutely DESPERATE. Not mean just really, really desperate. You've probably already figured out that of course that didn't work since we didn't lock Ryan in the closet too. We weren't that desperate. At least not yet.
Okay, on to plan C. A crib tent. Have you seen those before? They're great! It's a mesh tent that you put on the crib that can zip shut and trap keep your child in bed. So, we tried that. A friend let us use it. Poor Everett. Here's the nightly rundown.
Everett: Mommy, don't zip tent. Please mommy. Mommy, no zip tent.
Mommy: Okay, but if you get out one time then I'm going to zip the tent.
Everett: Okay mommy. Don't zip tent okay mommy?
Mommy: Okay.
5 minutes later. Laughter and jumping boys in Ryan's bed. I go in to zip the tent.
Everett: Mommy! Mommy! No zip tent. Please mommy.
Mommy: Sorry Everett, I told you to stay in your bed.
Everett: all out tantrum in a zipped tent for the next 10 minutes before falling asleep.
That was just too sad. I mean seriously. If you could see his poor little face. But, I think you'd understand if you saw my frustrated face. Next plan.
Well, let's just try the toddler bed. It's probably going to be a week of no sleep, a lot of tears, threats, and complete frustration, but maybe he'll get it in a few days and it will all be over with.
So last night we switched Everett to a BIG BOY bed and we put the tent on Ryan's bed to prevent Everett from climbing into Ryan's bed. Ryan, by the way, loves the tent. It's very exciting for him. We kissed Everett good night. Told him we were counting on him to be a BIG BOY and stay in his bed all night. Me being me, I couldn't just leave it at that. I had to make him think he really had to stay in his bed, so I gave him the threat of having to sleep in the pack 'n play if he got out.
After 5 minutes I could hear something so I went in to check on the boys. Everett was in his bed. I told him good job for being in his bed and gave him a kiss. I didn't hear one more peep from that room! NOT ONE! They went straight to sleep.
I thought, okay that was a fluke. But, tonight Everett and Ryan went straight to sleep again!
I guess Everett just needed to know that he could get out and that we trusted him to be a BIG BOY. Because he is, I guess.



6 comments:
What a great parenting moment! We switched Matyas to a big boy bed when we move and it has worked much better than expected also! However I am not as brave as you yet, all the toys are in Amaya's room, the living room (b/c we are still unpacking) and Matyas' closet. No toys in sight because I don't trust him that much. :)
Isn't it awesome when they make that transition so smoothly! I'm glad the big boy bed is going so well for you guys!
That is so funny! My grandma and mother-in-law did things to keep their children in their beds that they would probably get picked up for now! (One approach included nylons and the other included an additional mattress...probably used in the same way as the tent...) It is fun seeing pictures of your cute boys!
That's interesting and a little funny. That makes me think about how I'm going to play it out with Andrew. Thanks for sharing your struggles.
Jenn I'm so happy I found your blog! Sorry about my last comment something went funny. Your family is so adorable; two boys can be a handful huh? At least big brother is in the crib playing with little instead of torturing him! They sound wonderful and you are doing awesome. Keep it up!
Post a Comment